Bulgaria Marks 150th Years of Meteorology Measurements
The Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (BAS) marked with a ceremony Monday the 150th anniversary of the first meteorology measurements in the country.
The other celebrated date is the 120th anniversary of the establishment of the Bulgarian meteorology Services, now National Institute for Meteorology and Hydrology (NIMH).
The Minister of Environment and Waters, Nona Karadzhova, who attended the event, vowed to not allow shortage of funds for the Institute, despite severe budget cuts for BAS, saying her Ministry has EU funds financing for it.
Karadzhova was firm the information provided by NIMH is valuable and needed and stressed the Institute is a key factor in flood and other natural disasters prevention, saving resources and human life.
NIMH Director, Georgi Kirchev, reiterated the importance of disaster prevention, saying there are such systems for flood prevention around the country and the regions around the rivers Tundzha and Maritsa. He announced development works for systems for Black Sea storms alert, nuclear disaster alert, and harmful air substances.
The Deputy Speaker of the Parliament, Ekaterina Mihaylova, wished NIHM more and many correct forecasts, pointing out people generally don't realize the amount of effort and work behind the several minutes of such weather forecasts.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Rain only in the Southwestern Regions
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sun in the East, Rain in the West
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Warm Today
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny and increasingly Warm Temperatures this week
- » Yellow Code for Rainfall and Thunderstorms has been announced for half of Bulgaria
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny in the East with Rain Showers in the West