US Company Lands Permit for Shale Gas Prospecting in Bulgaria
The Bulgarian government has formally approved a 5-year concession for oil and gas prospecting in a 400 sq.km. area in northeast Bulgaria for North American company Park Place Energy Corp.
Park Place Energy Corp. is registered in the US state of Nevada and based in Calgary and Vancouver, Canada. The area it won to study is said to be very promising.
The company specializes in the extraction of shale gas, a novel and still largely unexplored procedure to capture gas trapped in earth layers. It has projects in both Canada and the USA.
Over the summer strong interest has been voiced by US energy giant Chevron over prospecting for shale gas in northeastern Bulgaria, which was supported by US ambassador James Warlick.
The area granted to Park Place is called "Block 1-11 Vranino" and situated between the towns of Shabla and General Toshevo in Dobrich region.
The procedure was launched July 2009 by Bulgaria's previous government.
This is the second company that gets a permit for shale gas prospecting in Bulgaria. The first permit was issued to US company Direct Petroleum, which claimed to have made significant discoveries in September.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Construction of the Bulgaria-Serbia Gas Connection will begin on February 1
- » Bulgaria: Gas is Expected to be nearly 30% Cheaper in February, Heating and Electricity will Not Increase in price
- » 32,000 Barrels of Fuel reach Ukraine from Bulgaria Every Day
- » Bulgarian MPs Banned the Export of Crude Oil and Oil Products from Russia
- » By the End of 2024, Bulgaria will be able to Import Russian Crude Oil
- » Protest in Sofia under the slogan "To Protect Bulgaria’s Energy Security"