Last of at Large Bulgarian 'Killers' Back in Jail
The President of the Bulgarian Sumo Federation, Petar Stoyanov aka the Chieftain, has been arrested late Tuesday night, Interior Minister, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, informs.
The Minister announced the police have enough evidence the Chieftain, who is also a former Sumo national team competitor, is connected with the murder of businessman Rumen Rachev last summer in the northern city of Shumen.
Tsvetan said the other suspect in the murder is Vasil Kostov aka Vasko Ketsa (The Sneaker).
After the arrest, Stoyanov had been taken to the hospital for a health test. During the first three-day detention, it was reported Stoyanov's health worsened and he had to be taken to the hospital. According to his lawyer, he was close to a heart attack and had dangerously high blood pressure.
Rumen Rachev was gunned down, execution style, on July 3, 2009, in broad daylight while entering his SUV.
With the Chieftain's arrest all five individuals, who were detained during the special police operation, codenamed "The Killers" for the recent murder of controversial Samokov businessman and football boss, Yuri Galev, are back behind bars.
On August 3, 2010, the Appellate Court released 4 of them, including the Chieftain and Ketsa, over lack of evidence, and left under arrest only Medoti Ivanov, on charges of illegal gun ownership.
On August 9, one of the 4 – Georgi Petkov aka Dachi was arrested on different charges.
Ketsa and the fourth person – Yanko Popov aka Tutso were also detained again and on August 24, 2010, charged with the murder of Rumen Rachev. The permanent detention of the two was confirmed by two instances - the Shumen District Court and the Varna Appellate Court.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Two Bulgarians are among those detained in a Drug Cartel broken up by Europol
- » Bulgaria: The Husband of the Murdered 28-year-old Mother of Two Children faces 20 Years in Prison
- » Bulgaria: Young Mother of Two was found Dead – Husband has been Arrested
- » Bulgaria: 12 Immigrants from Syria were Detained in Sofia in a Car with Serbian Registration
- » Bulgarian Interior Minister: Migrant Traffickers Fly at 200 km/h – Our Police Cars can’t Catch them!
- » Greece detained Bulgarians for defrauding Elderly People for over 260,000 euros