Dutch MP Suggests Roma Expulsion from Netherlands
Dutch Christian Democrat MP Mirjam Sterk has announced that Roma should be deported from the Netherlands as well, the Dutch newspaper Ad reported.
Sterk's statement expressed support for the recent French policy to repatriate all Roma from Bulgaria and Romania.
The Dutch newspaper also reports that the Roma community in the Netherlands has been shocked by the news and feared mass deportations to their homelands.
"This group causes a lot of nuisance in many Dutch towns. I can imagine they would rather get rid of them. If these people are not employed, sending them back is a good approach," Sterk said, as reported by Ad.
According to the newspaper, after 2014, Roma people will no longer need work permits in order to live and work in the Netherlands and this has been the reason why Dutch Christian Democrats wanted to deal with the situation before that date.
The administration of French President Nicolas Sarkozy and the government started to crack down on illegal Roma squatters' camps in July-August with the argument that these illegal settlements are a security threat. The subsequent de facto deportation of Bulgarian and Romanian Roma has drawn much international criticism on France.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria