Bulgarian Customs Detain Illegal Tobacco, Alcohol for Romania
The Bulgarian customs authorities reported Friday that they detained a smuggling shipment of 6 tons of tobacco headed for Romania in Bulgarian Danube city of Russe.
In other news, the Customs Agency announced it had stopped 120 l of illegal alcohol from crossing the Bulgarian-Romanian border at Russe.
The 6-ton tobacco shipment was discovered in a Bulgarian truck registered to transport paper and cardboard to Romania and had no relevant documents. Customs estimate that an excise tax of more than BGN 0.5 M is due on the tobacco.
Alcohol smuggling is on the other hand regularly effected in small installments by Bulgarian locals, mainly older people, who are carrying a few liters of alcohol each. The liquid is stored in 2 l and 5 l plastic bottles with no designation of contents and producers. People are carrying the alcohol to Romanian town of Gyurgevo across the Danube river, where they can profitably sell it.
Large fines are prescribed for failing to register goods and paying their excise tax.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria's Chief Prosecutor Ivan Geshev: An Inspection of the Minister of Culture Has Been Appointed
- » SP's Office Summons PM Borissov over the Bobokov Investigation
- » Bulgarian Commandos Arrested Bozhkov's Security Chief
- » Bulgarian of Syrian Descent Arrested in Bourgas for Terrorism
- » Bulgaria: Anti-Corruption Commission with Claims for BGN 140 Million Against Minyu and Stayko Staykovi
- » Bulgaria: Former Ministers Simeon Dyankov, Traicho Traikov and Businessman Prokopiev Acquitted in EVN Case