Pironkova First Bulgarian Player to Reach Grand Slam Semi-final
Tsvetana Pironkova became the first Bulgarian player to reach semi-final at a Grand Slam tournament in the women's singles after defeating No. 2 seed Venus Williams at the Wimbledon Championships.
There will be no all-Williams final at Wimbledon after Venus Williams lost to the unseeded Bulgarian player 6:2, 6:3.
The Court One crowd gave Pironkova a standing ovation as she went off - but the 22-year-old actually walked off ahead of the beaten Venus Williams.
Four years ago Pironkova, aged then 18, kicked out Wimbledon champion Venus Williams out of the prestigious Australian Open. Williams, seeded 10th, fell 2-6, 6-0, 9- 7 to Pironkova, appearing in her first Grand Slam tennis tournament and ranked 94th.
- » 296 Boxers From 39 Countries Participated in a Boxing Tournament in Bulgaria
- » One of the Richest Bulgarians Vasil Bozhkov Takes over the Management of Levski Football Club
- » UEFA Decided When Bulgaria must have at least One Stadium with VAR
- » Official: Lubo Penev is the New Coach of CSKA Sofia Taking over from El Maestro
- » Jess Messina Off to Bulgaria
- » Different Football Team Success
"It's on the tennis news here now that Clijsters is out. You might actually have made a correct prediction!! 8-))"
It was not a prediction on my part, I was looking at the Wimbledon web page and saw it when it happened. I can't believe That Russian nobody beat Kim Clijsters, the favorite to win! That was a BIG upset, almost as big as the Bulgarian nobody beating Venus, the Queen of Wimbledon!
Pironcheto is already famous and immortal for nailing Venus! However, Venus is 30 years old, Pironcheto is 22 years old. Age will tell in a high energy sport like tennis. Venus and Serena should retire already and let younger women take center stage. The fact that they haven't speaks volumes about their selfishness and greed.