Pironkova First Bulgarian Player to Reach Grand Slam Semi-final
Tsvetana Pironkova became the first Bulgarian player to reach semi-final at a Grand Slam tournament in the women's singles after defeating No. 2 seed Venus Williams at the Wimbledon Championships.
There will be no all-Williams final at Wimbledon after Venus Williams lost to the unseeded Bulgarian player 6:2, 6:3.
The Court One crowd gave Pironkova a standing ovation as she went off - but the 22-year-old actually walked off ahead of the beaten Venus Williams.
Four years ago Pironkova, aged then 18, kicked out Wimbledon champion Venus Williams out of the prestigious Australian Open. Williams, seeded 10th, fell 2-6, 6-0, 9- 7 to Pironkova, appearing in her first Grand Slam tennis tournament and ranked 94th.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Best Football Matches to Watch This Year
- » Football: Beroe - Favorite of Bookmakers in the Derby with Slavia
- » Bulgaria: Two CSKA Football Players Test Positive for COVID-19
- » Bulgarian Tennis Player Pironkova is Making History on US Open
- » US Open: Bulgarian Tennis Star Tsveti Pironkova Beats Vekic
- » US Open: Bulgarian Tsveti Pironkova Outplays Muguruza, Grigor Dimitrov Loses in a 5-Hour Match