Pironkova First Bulgarian Player to Reach Grand Slam Semi-final
Tsvetana Pironkova became the first Bulgarian player to reach semi-final at a Grand Slam tournament in the women's singles after defeating No. 2 seed Venus Williams at the Wimbledon Championships.
There will be no all-Williams final at Wimbledon after Venus Williams lost to the unseeded Bulgarian player 6:2, 6:3.
The Court One crowd gave Pironkova a standing ovation as she went off - but the 22-year-old actually walked off ahead of the beaten Venus Williams.
Four years ago Pironkova, aged then 18, kicked out Wimbledon champion Venus Williams out of the prestigious Australian Open. Williams, seeded 10th, fell 2-6, 6-0, 9- 7 to Pironkova, appearing in her first Grand Slam tennis tournament and ranked 94th.
- » Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic's Championship Win
- » Bulgarian Tennis Star Grigor Dimitrov Drops Out of TOP 50 in the World Rankings
- » Ludogorets Heads for its First Champions League Test
- » Football Club Owners Met with Bulgaria’s Prime Minister
- » Grigor Dimitrov Will Have to Pay a Fine Because He Refused to Appear at the Press Conference
- » Women's World Cup 2019