Aston Villa Vies with Bolton for Bulgaria’s Petrov
Aston Villa will try and persuade Martin Petrov to join them ahead of Bolton after last-ditch talks, according to reports.
Petrov, 31, is believed to be keen to play for a club of Villa's stature and link up with compatriot Stilian Petrov.
The news comes days after reports emerged that Martin Petrov is set for a move to Bolton Wanderers as he is reportedly undergoing a medical at the Reebok stadium.
The Bulgarian winger has been a target for many clubs after Manchester City decided to allow him to leave the club after his contract expired.
Petrov was signed by former boss Sven Goran Eriksson after Thaksin Shinawatra's takeover, but following the Abu Dhabi United group's buyout in 2008, both players have seen their chances limited.
The 31-year-old stated in April that his season was over after picking up a knee injury in February playing for Manchester City.
Petrov who had won his place back in the Manchester City side with some stunning performances under new manager Roberto Mancini was injured during a game against Stoke and subsequently had surgery in Barcelona.
Everton and Blackburn Rovers are also said to battle it out for Manchester City winger when the Bulgarian’s contract expires on July 1.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria's Nurgyul Salimova and Nadya Toncheva in the Top 10 of Chess Rankings
- » BREAKING: Borislav Mihailov Resigned as President of the Bulgarian Football Union
- » Bulgarian Ex-Minister and Shooting Sports Legend Endorses IOC Neutrality Amid Russia, Belarus Olympic Dilemma
- » How to Develop a Successful Sports Betting Strategy
- » Bulgarian Football Union President Denies Responsibility for the Protest
- » Making History: Bulgarian Chess Players Became European Champions