Bulgarian Military Slashes 30% of Senior Officers
The Bulgarian military will lay off about 30% of the senior commanders of all types of armed forces, Defense Minister Anyu Angelov has announced.
The layoffs in the headquarters of the Bulgarian Army, Navy, and Air Force must be completed by July 1, 2010, the Minister said in Varna Saturday. They have to be approved by the government over the upcoming week as part of the austerity measures of the Defense Ministry.
Gen. Angelov also said his team was working a special draft law for Bulgaria's reservist forces.
On Saturday, the Defense Minister and the US Ambassador to Bulgaria, James Warlick, awarded certificates to participants in a training seminar entitled “NATO's Experience with Respect to Equality in the Armed Forces”, a project aimed at gender equality in the army and equal career opportunities.
Angelov and His Excellency visited a ship of the US Second Fleet visiting the port of Varna.
“We expect to continue to work in close cooperation in combating pirates off the coast of Somalia,” the US Ambassador stated.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Greek Media: Bulgaria has requested Greek Aircraft to Protect its Skies
- » New Defense Minister believes it is Extremely Important for Bulgaria to provide Military Aid to Ukraine
- » Turkish Military Equipment will pass through Bulgaria to join KFOR in Kosovo
- » Defense Minister: There is No Request to Increase the Bulgarian Contingent in Kosovo
- » Bulgaria’s Defense Minister: The Defensive Shield-23 Exercise achieved its Goals of assembling a Multinational Battalion
- » The Minister of Defense: There are no Bulgarian soldiers in Ukraine