Bulgaria Bars Minors from Smoking Clubs
After adopting liberal rules for smoking in public spaces, Bulgaria's parliament unexpectedly banned minors' access to disco clubs after 10 pm, even if they are accompanied by an older friend or relative.
Without debates, the MPs conclusively voted yes to the ruling-party proposal to water down a new smoking ban in the country, which will come into force on June 2.
A day earlier following an apparent misunderstanding of the texts put to vote, the MPs allowed youngsters under 18 to enter disco and night clubs, but barred their access to restaurants and coffee shops, whose owners allow smoking.
The gaffe forced MPs from the center-right majority to suspend the vote and convene a meeting of the health commission to solve the issue.
Under the adopted amendments smoking will be allowed in separate smoking spaces inside restaurants, bars, coffee shops, railroad stations, airports, ports, and bus stations.
The owners of restaurants, clubs and coffee shops with an area less than 50 square meters, should decide if smoking would be allowed.
The draft legislation has surprisingly managed to fuse the ruling center-right GERB with the main opposition Socialist Party. The ad hoc coalition claims that the proposed relaxation of a ban on smoking in all public places would avoid hurting the tourist industry during tough economic times.
Similar measures were imposed as part of a partial smoking ban in 2005 but have been widely ignored.
Bulgaria ranks second after Greece in the EU in terms of number of regular smokers as a percentage of the population, according to a Eurobarometer survey.
- » E-Vignettes' Prices Remain Unchanged in 2020
- » Roxette Vocalist Marie Fredriksson Died at 61
- » Scientists: Climate Change Threatens Grain Production
- » Bulgaria and Cuba Will Cooperate in the Field of Science
- » President Rumen Radev Addressed the Startup Entrepreneurs: Your Non-standard and Brave Ideas Take Us to the Country of the Future
- » WhatsApp Stops Support for some Types of Apple and Android Devices