Sofia Prosecutor Scorned by Supreme Judicial Council
Bulgaria’s Supreme Judicial Council (VSS), punished Wednesday with reprobation Deputy Sofia City Prosecutor, Roman Vasilev, for his behavior during the arrest of former Defense Minister Nikolay Tsonev.
In the beginning of April while detaining the ex Minister Vasilev called him a “criminal” and ordered him to kneel down even though he was already handcuffed. This led to a public outcry, and Vasilev, who apologized profoundly arguing that he succumbed to emotions, has been condemned by the Ethics Commission of the VSS.
The Prosecutor's Office decided to not penalize their colleague and left the consequences to the VSS.
The reprobation is listed in the employee's record for one year and is stricken after that. During the one year period the employee cannot be appointed or apply to a high-ranking position and is not eligible to receive bonuses.
The sanction means Vasilev, most likely, will not be able to be included in the planed team of special prosecutors, who will deal only with organized crime, unless his punishment expires before the beginning of the selection process.
VSS said they decided to not impose a harsher penalty on Vasilev, such as salary reduction, because he is a prosecutor leading many and serious cases.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Officially: The Population of Bulgaria is just over 6.5 million
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: No Deaths in the Last 24 hours
- » Bulgaria: Siren Test Today – Don’t be Alarmed!
- » Covid-19 in Bulgaria: New Cases are Increasing
- » “Thracian Secret Societies” available in English and Bulgarian for All the History Buffs
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 801 New Cases in the Last 24 hours