Bulgaria Customs Agents Capture Illegal Shipment of Parrots
Customs officers have captured an illegal shipment of 107 Jacquot parrots at Bulgaria's Sofia Airport.
The parrots arrived to Sofia with a flight from Beirut, Lebanon. The person transporting them, a 39-year-old man with Bulgarian citizenship, did not have all the necessary legal documents, the Customs Agency announced.
According to the Agency, one bird of the rare species costs about EUR 1000-1800 on the black market in Europe, making the total shipment worth some EUR 200 000.
The Jacquot parrots have been transferred immediately to the Sofia Zoo. They were transported from Lebanon in four plastic cages for animals. There were actually 108 parrots in them but one of the birds suffocated during the flight.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: A Military Man Killed his Girlfriend and Committed Suicide
- » Bulgaria: A Man Stabbed his Neighbors because of their Barking Dog
- » The Bulgarian Entrepreneur Tzvetan Vassilev is No Longer Wanted by Interpol
- » Bulgaria: 9 Months in Prison for a Man caught Driving Drunk for the Second Time
- » A Law will Prohibit the Sale of Nitrous Oxide or “Laughing Gas” to Minors in Bulgaria
- » Operation in Greece for the capture of Bulgarian Cryptoqueen Ruja Ignatova