Poland Bids Farewell to President Kaczynski
Thousands of people are gathering in Krakow for the state funeral of Polish President Lech Kaczynski.
After a funeral Mass, the president will be buried in Wawel Cathedral, the resting place of Poland's kings and national heroes.
The decision to entomb a leader seen as divisive by many during his lifetime in such a hallowed place has sparked protests, the BBC reported.
He and 95 others died eight days ago when their plane crashed in fog en route to a ceremony in Russia.
Many world leaders cannot attend because flights have been grounded by Iceland's volcano.
Russian President Dimitri Medvedev has left for Krakow by plane, despite air travel restrictions, a Kremlin spokesman said.
The state funeral will begin with a Mass at Krakow's St Mary's Basilica. From the city's mediaeval market square, the coffins of the first couple will be carried along a route lined with Polish flags with black ribbons and photos of Lech Kaczynski and his wife Maria.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Russia expects $14 Billion in additional Oil and Gas Revenues this year
- » US General: Sweden and Finland do Not Need more US Forces
- » Israel will Not Give Missiles to Ukraine despite US Pressure
- » Day 93 of the Invasion of Ukraine: At least 1,500 Killed in Sievierodonetsk
- » China and Russia have Vetoed new UN Sanctions against North Korea
- » Boris Johnson with a Secret Plan for a New Alliance as a Balance Against the EU