Smolensk Plane Crash Devastates Poland Army
The passengers list from Poland’s government plane which went down near Smolenks Saturday, killing all aboard, show that top commanders of the country’s armed forces are among the dead.
In addition to President Lech Kaczynski, First Lady, Maria Kaczynska, and many of the country’s top politicians and clergy, the list shows the names of WP Gen. Franciszek G?gor – Head of the General Staff of the Polish Army, and Maj. Gen. Bronislaw Kwiatkowski, the Commander of Poland’s Operational Forces.
The victims also include Vice Admiral Andrzej Karweta, Commander-in-Chief of the Polish Navy; Gen. Andrzej Blasik, Commander of the Polish Air Force; the Special Forces Commander, Major-General W?odzimierz Potasi?ski.
The leadership of the Polish army is holding an emergency meeting Saturday to decide on measures to react to the crisis situation.
According to Polish military rules, the first deputies are to act as Commanders until the army makes a final decision.
For Poland, a member of NATO, the tragedy means a true change of generations in the country’s armed forces.
- » Ursula von der Leyen: The European Union does not Want a Hard Brexit
- » China is the World's Largest Watermelon Producer
- » Russia Urged Europe to Clarify its Position on the Iranian Nuclear Agreement
- » Juncker Has Accepted the Resignation of the Secretary-General Martin Selmayr
- » Short Circuit Shuts Down Three Reactors of a Russian NPP
- » The Lower House of the US Congress Did Not Accept Trump's Proposal For Impeachment