US Coal Mine Explosion Kills 25 in West Virginia
Twenty-five miners are now known to have died and four are missing after an accident at a West Virginia coal mine.
The accident was caused by an underground explosion at the Upper Big Branch mine some 50 km south of Charleston in the eastern US.
The blast happened around 1900 GMT, said the mine's owner Massey Energy Company, cited by the BBC.
The number of fatalities makes this the worst US mine disaster since 1984. Rescue efforts have been suspended.
Safety officials said rising methane gas levels had heightened the risk of another explosion.
The operation would resume as soon as conditions allowed, Massey Energy said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 226 of the Invasion of Ukraine: There is a Threat of Nuclear Armageddon, according to Biden
- » Day 225 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russian Missile strikes on Zaporizhzhia
- » World Bank: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine is hampering Post-Pandemic Economic Recovery
- » No more Russian Oil for Serbia
- » SpaceX heads off for International Space Station with US, Russian, Japanese Astronauts
- » Two MEPs Insulted Bulgaria and Romania at the Schengen debate