Bulgaria Ethnic Turks Leader Denies Embezzlement Allegations
Bulgaria's ethnic Turkish party has vowed to approach the senior prosecutor over allegations that its leader has pocketed BGN 1,5 M as a consultant of projects, financed by the state budget.
Ahmed Dogan, leader of the ethnic Turkish party Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS) which was a member of the ex tri-partite government, took BGN 1,5 M as a consultant of the large-scale hydroelectricity projects - ‘Tsankov Kamak’, ‘Dospat’, ‘Gorna Arda’ and ‘Tundzha’ Dam, Bulgarian daily newspaper Trud reported last week.
"The consultancy activities of our leader Ahmed Dogan has nothing to do with ‘Tsankov Kamak’ project. I have been authorized by him to say that the money received has not been taken by the state budget,” the ethnic party spokesman Kamen Kostadinov told the morning broadcast of the state national TV channel BNT.
Kostadinov described Dogan as the man who has spearheaded the development of alternative energy sources in Bulgaria, an area in which "he has specialized over the years".
“Dogan is an honorary member of the Water Association in Bulgaria, has a lаb at his home and is in constant contact with scientists, members of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences,” Konstadinov said.
The news comes after Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov revealed on Thursday that prosecutors are already studying the project of the hydroelectric power plant – ‘Tsankov Kamak’, after a huge hike in the initial price was discovered.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Begging and Prostitution are No Longer Crimes in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: 1-year-old Child is in Coma after being Beaten in Plovdiv
- » Bulgaria: Mother and Son were found Dead in Kyustendil
- » Bulgaria: A Municipal Councilor in Velingrad was Murdered (UPDATED)
- » Bulgaria: Two People Killed in a Fight between Families in Nova Zagora
- » The 15-year-old Bus Driver who Killed the Policemen may Receive up to 10 Years in Prison