Bulgaria Suffers Extreme Weather, Hemus Highway Closed
The current severe weather conditions have forced the closure of Hemus highway, and the port of Varna has been shut down.
Hemus highway has been closed in both directions, according to the Varna Regional Road Office Bureau. Restrictions have been imposed on all third-class roads in the area, and to the road to Shumen via Devnya.
A snowstorm is raging in eastern Bulgaria, with Suvorovo and Valchidoll municipalities being hardest hit.
The port of Varna was closed due to high winds and the low temperatures. Varna airport remains open, working under winter conditions.
The Bulgarian Red Cross has warned against unnecessary travel over the weekend because of the extremely cold conditions, and for those whose journeys are essential to take all emergency precautions.
The weather in the mountains is not suitable for tourism. according to the Mountain Rescue Service.
Temperatures across the country are around minus 10 to minus 15 degrees, and the danger of freezing is high.
In the mountains it is cloudy, and over the higher parts there is also fog.
The conditions allow for skiing in Bansko, Bezbog, Borovets, Malyovitsa, Vitosha - Aleko chalet, Mechi Chal and Pamporovo.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Chunks of Chinese Rocket Threaten to Fall to Earth
- » The Best Mountain Resorts to Visit Around the World
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Easter Comes with Summer Sunshine
- » Saharan Dust Will Cover Greece, Bulgaria over Easter
- » Young Families in Rural Bulgarian Communities Embrace Sustainable Farming
- » Prince William Joins Celebrity Calls Urging More Efforts in Climate Fight