Bulgaria Parliament Eases Laws on GM Crop Cultivation
The Bulgarian Parliament has approved amendments to the law on Genetically Modified Organisms at the first reading on Wednesday.
The amendments have caused outrage amongst local environmental NGOs who argued that harmonization with the EU is necessary, but it should not be at the expense of Bulgarian nature and farmers.
The Bulgarian Socialist Party and ethnic Turkish DPS party voted against the changes but they were passed by the other political parties.
Bulgaria Environment Minister, Nona Karadzhova, stated that the amendments were necessary to bring Bulgaria inline with the rest of the EU and that they will not lead to the sale of GMO products in Bulgaria or the increased cultivation of GM crops.
MPs have been given a prolonged 21 days to propose changes to the amendments.
"The time for changes to the law on GMOs now is particularly inappropriate because the European Commission is currently discussing new legislation on GMOs, and in a few months it will be necessary to change the law again " Agrolink Director Dr. Svetla Nikolova concluded.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Orange Code for Heavy Rainfall, Snowfall and Strong Wind Announced for 3 Districts in Bulgaria
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rainfall that will turn into Snow with Temperatures Reaching -1°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Cloudy with Max. Temperatures Between 11°C and 16°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Significant Clouds with Max. Temperatures Between 7°C and 12°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rain will Continue in some areas of the Country, Snow in the Mountains
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Increase in Clouds and Rain in the Afternoon. Temperatures: 10°C and 15°C