Powerful Earthquake Rocks Haiti, Many Feared Dead
A magnitude 7,3 earthquake off the Haitian coast has rocked the capital and sparked a tsunami alert for states in the immediate vicinity.
Eyewitnesses reported that a hospital and other buildings had collapsed and people were calling for help, the BBC reported.
Tuesday's earthquake was centred about 15km south-west of Port-au-Prince, according to the US Geological Survey.
It was quickly followed by two strong aftershocks of 5,9 and 5,5 magnitude.
The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there was the possibility of a local tsunami that could affect "coasts located usually no more than a 100km from the earthquake epicentre".
A tsunami watch was in effect for Haiti, the neighbouring Dominican Republic, Cuba and the Bahamas.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Series of Knife Attacks in three Brussels Neighborhoods: Two People have Died
- » Bulgarian SPG-9 Warriors mounted on Buggies chase Russian Tanks through the Mud in Ukraine
- » Musk: Apple has 'threatened to withhold' Twitter
- » Breaching EU Sanctions will soon be a 'Eurocrime'
- » Russia not only Destroys but Depopulates Ukraine: A Quarter of its Population is already Abroad
- » Russian Sinologist: Within 10-15 years, the Balkans and Poland will want to join Russia