Foreign Affairs Nominee Ashton Calls for 'Stronger' EU
The EU is now in a position to assume a "stronger, more credible role in the world," the nominee for the EU's top foreign policy post says.
The UK's Catherine Ashton was speaking to Euro MPs, who have started grilling the commissioners-designate on their new roles and qualifications, the BBC reported.
Baroness Ashton said she would work closely with MEPs in setting up the EU's new diplomatic service.
"We need the best and brightest working for it," she said.
Baroness Ashton was formerly EU trade commissioner, so her foreign policy experience is under scrutiny.
As the new High Representative for Foreign Affairs she is to control the planned new EU diplomatic service, which will have a staff of up to 5 000.
The Lisbon Treaty has provided a "once in a generation opportunity" to create "one coherent strategy" for EU foreign policy, she said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s Defense Minister thinks there was an Explosion on Board Prigozhin’s Plane
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov