Sweden Formally Proposes Belgian PM Herman Van Rompuy as 1st EU President
The Swedish EU Presidency has formally proposed Belgium’s Prime Minister, Herman Van Rompuy, for the position of EU President.
This has been announced by a Spokesperson of Rompuy while the special EU summit to elect the first President of the EU is still going on, BGNES reported.
A Spokesperson of the Czech government has confirmed the news about Rompuy’s nomination by the Swedish Presidency.
UK EU Commissioner in charge of trade, Catherine Ashton, has been nominated by the Swedish Presidency for EU High Representative for Foreign Policy.
According to an unnamed high-ranking EU official, the Swedish Presidency and the large EU states Germany, France, Italy, and the UK have reached an agreement, and Rompuy and Ashton are certain to be elected as EU President and High Representative.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria