Bulgaria to Host World Chess Title Match between Anand, Topalov
The World Chess Federation FIDE approved Bulgaria to host the World Championship Match in March 2010.
Thus, the current world champion Viswanathan Anand will face Bulgaria’s chess master Veselin Topalov, who is currently number one in the FIDE world ranking (Anand is second).
The match for the world chess title will be held in Bulgaria’s capital Sofia. Bulgaria submitted its bid to host the game in late September 2009 during the FIDE Congress in Halkidiki, Greece. The other two bidders to host the world chess title match were Turkey and Singapore.
The holding of the World Championship Match in Sofia has been financially guaranteed by the Bulgarian Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, who pledged 100% backing by the Bulgarian state for the initiative.
The World Championship Match in 2010 will be the single greatest chess event to ever take place in Bulgaria.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Greatest Bulgarian Premier League Players Ever
- » Bulgaria with a Record 13 Medals from the European Rhythmic Gymnastics Championship
- » Bulgaria is the European Champion in Rhythmic Gymnastics - Gold for the Ensemble
- » Bulgaria to replace Russia on the Qualification for the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris
- » Bulgarian Boxer Tervel Pulev defeated the American Joel Shojgreen in the Third Round
- » Why Bulgaria are Placing their Faith in Youth to get back into Footballing Relevance