Freak Repeat Fuels Lottery Enthusiasm in Bulgaria
Bulgaria's national lottery is unexpectedly capitalizing on what has been called a freak coincidence, the drawing of the same six numbers in two consecutive rounds.
The number of people who try their luck in the lottery has increased, even through many have their misgivings about the transparency of the investigators' probe into the lottery repeat, a tour around the lottery booths in the capital Sofia showed.
The Bulgarian authorities ordered an investigation after the same six numbers were drawn in two consecutive rounds of the national lottery. The probe found no wrongdoing.
The numbers - 4, 15, 23, 24, 35 and 42 - were chosen by a machine live on television on 6 and 10 September.
Lottery officials called the repeat draws a freak coincidence - the odds are 1 in 4 million, according to mathematicians - and insisted it was impossible to tamper with the lottery machine.
Nobody won the top prize in the first draw.
But a record 18 people guessed all six numbers in the 10 September draw.
Each will win BGN 10,164.
- » A Man in the UK has Poured Acid on a 3-year-old Child
- » A Bulgarian Child was Injured in an Accident in Calabria
- » A Tourist Fell from Dragalevtsi Lift
- » Bulgarian Students with 4 Medals from the International Olympiad in Biology
- » Deadly Heatwave Kills People in Japan
- » The Bulgarian Black Sea Coast is Cleaner this Summer According to the Tourist Minister