First Bulgarian Olympic Champion Dies at 78
Nikola Stanchev, Bulgaria's first Olympic champion, has passed away at the age of 78, the Bulgarian wrestling federation said on Monday.
Stanchev made history after winning an Olympic gold in the freestyle wrestling in the 79 kilogram division at the 1956 Games in Melbourne.
Stanchev won 11 Bulgarian titles, eight in the freestyle and three in the Greco-Roman style.
- » 'The Real Super Mario' Dies Aged 84
- » Dimitar Petrov, the Director of Beloved Bulgarian Films has Passed Away
- » Charles Aznavour, French Singing Star, Dies at 94
- » Burt Reynolds: Hollywood Star Dies at 82
- » Former UN Chief Kofi Annan Dies at 80
- » Stephen Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, Dead at 90