Muslim Immigrant Protesters Clash with Police in Downtown Athens
About 1 000 Muslim immigrants protested in the Greek capital Athens Friday against "racism and islamophobia" in a rally which led to clashes with riot police.
The rally has been initiated by the "Destroy Racism" organization and other immigrant and leftist groups. The protesters gathered on the Omonia Square over the way that four Syrian immigrants had been detained during an ID inspection by the police at a Syrian-owned coffee shop.
Reported, one of the Greek policeman took a customer's Koran, tore it up, and stomped it. The police have started an internal investigation.
Friday rally gathered about 1 000 persons mostly between 20 and 30 years of age, from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Syria, and Somalia, who chanted "Allah is great".
After some of the protesters started to throw various objects at the riot police, the policemen used tear gas to disperse them.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Putin denounces "Inhuman Terrorist Attack" at Russian School
- » Russian Services have sent Forces to the Border with Georgia “Just in Case”
- » School Shooting in Russia – Victims Reported
- » The Kremlin is Discussing Closing the Border, Hundreds of Thousands of Russians have Left
- » Volodymyr Zelensky is the Most Influential Jewish Person in the World
- » Day 215 of the Invasion of Ukraine: The US will respond "Decisively" if Russia uses Nuclear Weapons in Ukraine