Former GERB Speaker: Our Only Possible Partner Is Blue Coalition
The Sofia City Councilor from GERB, Robert Yanakiev, has stated that the Blue Coalition was GERB's only potential partner for forming a government after the 2009 Parliamentary Elections.
In an interview for Novinite.com, Yanakiev, who is also the former speaker of Sofia Mayor Boyko Borisov's party GERB, said there was no way GERB would form a coalition with the ruling Bulgarian Socialist Party.
Yanakiev believes that if GERB fails to get an absolute majority to form a government of its own, its most feasible partner is the Blue Coalition formed by the Democrats for Strong Bulgaria of former Prime Minister Ivan Kostov, and the Union of Democratic Forces led by Martin Dimitrov.
Yanakiev declared that GERB was highly unlikely to enter into coalition agreements with other rightist parties - the far-right Ataka party of Volen Siderov, or the conservative "Order, Law, Justice" party of Yane Yanev.
Yet, the GERB Sofia Councilor pointed out that he would rather hold talks with Siderov and/or Yanev rather than engage in any negotiations with the Bulgarian Socialist Party.
Yanakiev stressed that part of GERB's mission was to get the ethnic Turkish Movement for Rights and Freedoms out of power because of the corruptness of the DPS leadership.
EU & Parliamentary Elections 2009 » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » Internet Site Launched to Help Bulgarian Voters Abroad
- » Bulgaria Supreme Court Postpones Striking Turkey Election Results
- » Bulgarian US, Turkey Ambassadors to Explain Election Violations
- » Bulgaria Ruling GERB Increases Lead ahead of Socialists - Survey
- » Bulgaria Prosecutors Find Violations in Turkey Election Sections
- » Serious Violations Found in Bulgarian Foreign Election Sections