Makriev Heads from Israel for Bulgaria World Cup Qualifiers
Dimitar Makriev, who plays for the Israeli Ashdod, will join the national football squad for the first time in the World Cup qualifiers against Ireland and Cyprus.
The news comes two days after it emerged that captain Dimitar Berbatov will certainly sit out international duty after suffering an ankle knock during Manchester United clash with Fulham.
The Bulgarians' new manager, Stanimir Stoilov, is facing an uphill battle since he can not bank on the experience of one more of his best footballers in the crucial forthcoming World Cup qualifier - Manchester City winger Martin Petrov, who is still recovering from a surgery. Manchester City striker Valeri Bojinov most probably will also miss the matches due to injury problems.
Bulgaria ranks third in Group Eight with three points from three matches. They will be desperate to avoid defeat in Dublin to keep alive hopes of reaching the finals in South Africa.
Bulgaria is up against the Republic on 28 March and Cyprus four days later.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Reaches the 2nd Round of the Australian Open
- » Club from the Premier League and Two from the Championship want Bulgarian Footballer of the Year
- » Three British Clubs Interested in Emerging Bulgarian Football Star Despodov
- » Novak Djokovic Will Arrive in Bulgaria For Sofia Open 2019
- » FIVB Confirmed! Brazil Standing on the Way of Bulgaria for Tokyo 2020
- » Kiril Despodov Received the Prize for Bulgaria's No. 1 Footballer for the 2018th