Half of Pregnant Women in Bulgaria Active Smokers
Bulgarians are the third most active smokers among European members, and half of the pregnant women smoke.
The ranking was announced Monday after a survey done by the organizers of the "Help - a life without smoking" campaign.
Active smokers in Bulgaria are 1,9 million. Bulgarians smoke an average of a pack a day, and almost every third child between the age of 10 and 19 is an active smoker, the survey shows. In 1986, the women smokers were 19%, and now the percentage is 38. Active smokers among men are 52,4%.
The Bulgarian Ministry of health alerts that smoking is among the main causes of 25 deceases, and is also a reason for their change for worse. Smoking is the main cause of death in the European Union, making its limitation a vital part of the European Community health policy.
The European Commission's "Help - a life without smoking" campaign started in 2007 in Bulgaria. Its priorities are prevention of smoking, quitting smoking, and the risks of passive smoking.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 593 COVID-19 Infected, Another Death Case
- » BRC: A Chinese Company has Provided 150,000 Protective Masks
- » A 48-Year-Old Bulgarian with Suspected Coronavirus Infection Died in Spain
- » Code Yellow Warning of Rough Seas Issued for the Coastal Area of Burgas Region
- » Jack Dorsey, Co-Founder of Twitter Donates $ 1 Billion from his Personal Wealth to Help Fight COVID-19
- » Bulgaria Allocates nearly BGN 200,000 to Help Albania Recover from the Earthquake