Greek Prisoners Start Hunger Strike over Jail Conditions
According to reports, there are thousands of prisoners who are boycotting all food, as they protest overcrowding and demand better jail conditions, including proper medical care and restrictions on the time that detainees awaiting trial must spend behind bars.
"We are not suffering under the delusion that the ministry will accept all our demands; our goal is one small victory to bring a breath of fresh air into this oppressive situation," Panos Lambrou, the representative of the prisoners' support group, said as cited by DPA.
Greece's prisons are among the most overcrowded in Europe with 10,983 inmates crammed into jails designed to hold 7,543.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Trump Bans Tik Tok App, Stocking Tension with Beijing
- » Bulgarian Company is the Owner of the Ship That Carried the Ammonium Nitrate Responsble for the Explosion in Beirut
- » France: 16 Coronavirus High-Risk Countries with a Compulsary Testing on Arrival
- » Donald Trump Suggests Delay to 2020 US Election, Republicans: You Can't Delay It
- » Britain Tightens Measures Against COVID-19
- » European Commission Signs Contract with Gilead to Secure EU Access to Remdesivir