Bulgaria's Young Tennis Star Dimitrov Triumphs in Madrid Tournament
Dimitrov was victorious against his French rival in two sets (6-4, 6-4) after one hour and five minutes of play.
As a result of the win, the 17-year-old Bulgarian added 18 points more to his credit and USD 1950 to his bank account.
That was the second tournament in a row won by Dimitrov after he took the title at the 2008 US Open Junior tournament in September. Two months earlier he won the junior title at Wimbledon.
The youngster is currently ranked 746 in the world. In May, he won his first futures tournament on the clay of Valldoreix, also in Spain.
Futures tournaments are the bottom rung of the professional tennis ladder, with hundreds held across the world every year.
The highest-ranked Bulgarian male player in the ATP ranking is Ivaylo Traikov, who is world number 442. The lowest ranked Bulgarian is Danail Tarpov at the 1869th position.
On top of the ranking is Rafael Nadal, followed by Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Macedonian Football Fans Booed the Bulgarian Anthem but Lost the Match in the End
- » What Table Games can you find at the Best Casino Online in Canada
- » Bulgaria: World Title for the Rhythmic Gymnastics Ensemble in Sofia
- » First Medal for Bulgaria at the Rhythmic Gymnastics World Championships
- » How to Choose an NFL Sports Betting Site
- » EuroBasket: Bulgaria Defeated the Host Georgia