STEN ASK: BULGARIA MUST SPEED UP EU NEGOTIATIONS
Politics | June 20, 2001, Wednesday // 00:00
Bulgaria is lagging behind in the negotiations on the EU accession, said at a press conference Ambassador of Sweden, Sten Ask. He was the first European diplomat to hold a press-conference after the general election. Kostov`s government falls behind as regards the open chapters and reforms in legislation aimed at bringing it in conformance with the EU standards. The major problem is the inadequate judicial system and clumsy administrative structures. Only Romania ranks after Bulgaria. At the moment Bulgaria has 18 open chapters and only 10 closed, said Ambassador Ask. We expect that the new government of Bulgaria will propose the most efficient measures to facilitate and accelerate the process of accession, he said further. He welcomed the intention of Bulgaria to open all chapters by the end of the year. On June 27 his country will hand over the EC chairmanship to Belgium. I feel optimistic and believe that the new government will uphold the stand Bulgaria had so far on the EU accession. I`ve heard it myself from Simeon II on the night of the elections, Sten Ask commented.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov: We are Witnessing Attacks against the Parliamentary Republic
- » Ninova on the events in the Bulgarian Parliament: Genders against Fascists
- » Radev: I don't expect the Kiss between Borissov and Petkov to give Birth to anything other than Disgust
- » Bulgaria: Insecure Pro-Russian MPs Spat, Yelled and tried to Fight in Parliament
- » Borissov: Denkov and Mariya Gabriel are Close to Making a Decision
- » Defense Minister: There is No Request to Increase the Bulgarian Contingent in Kosovo