MEMORY OF HOLOCAUST VICTIMS COMMEMMORATED IN PLOVDIV
Politics | March 10, 2002, Sunday // 00:00
Bulgaria’s President Parvanov participated in the ceremony in memory of the Holocaust victims and the rescue of the Bulgarian Jews, which was held on March 10th in front of the Jewish Monument in Plovdiv. In his speech, Parvanov described March 10 as "a day of deserved national pride". Israeli Ambassador to Bulgaria Emanuel Zisman was iniatiator of the idea for declaring March 9 – day of commemoration of the Holocaust victims and the rescue of the Bulgarian Jews. 8,500 Jews from Plovdiv and Kyustendil, Zisman was among them, were supposed to be deported to the Nazi death camps on March 9, 1943 but after the intervention of then parliamentary deputy speaker Dimitur Peshev, of MPs, the Bulgarian Orthodox Church and members of the public the departure of the Jews that was prevented.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Austrian President: Bulgaria is ready for Schengen
- » Bulgaria’s MFA condemned the Decision of North Macedonia to Erase a Bulgarian Association
- » Bulgaria’s President: When we Sell Weapons to Other Countries, We will Set Conditions so that they don’t Reach Ukraine
- » Asylum Applicants in 2022 Increase by 64% in EU, by 86% in Bulgaria
- » President Radev: Bulgaria and 9 other ЕU Countries are not Participating in the Joint Procurement of Ammunition for Ukraine
- » The Migrant Pressure on Bulgaria Intensifies: 1.6 times Increase in the Number of People Caught