SOFIYANSKI: UDF SHOULD BROADEN BASE
Politics | June 19, 2001, Tuesday // 00:00
`The Union of Democratic Forces (UDF) should broaden its base and should not shun power-sharing. That`s all! ` Sofia Mayor Stefan Sofiyanski told BTA on the telephone, answering the question what is in store for the UDF. He repeated several times that he had not changed his position for two years, since before the local elections. Sofiyanski, who was re-elected mayor in 1999, was tipped as the possible prime minister in case the Simeon II National Movement and the UDF formed a coalition. The UDF should not go into opposition but should be together with the new power-holders. The UDF`s strong point is that it is Bulgaria`s international passport, and no one would leave without their international passport, Sofiyanski said. He still believes that public expectations are for a coalition government of the Simeon II Movement and the United Democratic Forces. Sofiyanski declined to answer questions because whatever he said from now on could be interpreted as pressure or a bid. `I have no bids, I want to work,` Sofiyanski said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The New Prime Minister of Bulgaria: Who is Nikolay Denkov?
- » Bulgaria Finally has a Regular Government (CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS)
- » Bulgaria: Protest of "Vazrazhdane" and TISP against the New Cabinet
- » Bulgaria: The Caretaker Prime Minister called for Continuity
- » Bulgaria: Denkov Presented Priorities of the New Cabinet: Budget Deficit, Schengen, Eurozone and Judicial Reform
- » Bulgaria’s President accused the Parties behind the Cabinet of Treason