Bulgarians Stumble Upon Unexpected Medusa Population
With the waters comparatively warm for this season, fishermen and tourists first noted huge schools of jellyfish near the floating taverns in the area and the quay. What surprised scientists was that these mollusca usually inhabit salty sea and ocean waters and out of over 10,000 known such species, just three are known to dwell in fresh water.
The medusas found in Kurdzhali Dam are of the Cindaria species, not too large, with their umbrella reaching up to three centimetres in diameter, but they are fast swimmers. They prefer to stay at a depth of a meter and a half but often dash up to the surface for just a second and submerge back in.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria Provides BGN 50 Million to Increase Salaries of University Lecturers
- » Earthquake 3.6 Magnitute in Albania
- » Emergency Epidemic Situation in Bulgaria Is Extended to November 30
- » Protests in Bulgaria, Day 76: Grand National Uprising 3
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 109 Newly Registered Cases
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 151 Newly Registered Cases, 19014 Total