Sofia Opens Catholic Cathedral
Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano consecrated the cathedral himself before over a thousand Catholics from all over Bulgaria and Macedonia.
EU Affairs Minister Meglena Kuneva, many other Catholics from Bulgaria, and foreign diplomats gathered at the new cathedral at Sofia's "Knyaz Boris I" Boulevard. Sofia Mayor Boyko Borisov, Culture Minister Stefan Danailov and Dimitris Kourkoulas, head of the EC Delegation for Bulgaria, also honoured the ceremony.
The cathedral's first stone was sanctified by Pope John Paul II, during his visit to Bulgaria in 2002. The new building rises where the old catholic cathedral in Sofia stood. It was destroyed during the bombing of Sofia in 1944, even before it was completed.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian MP: We have No Reason to Lift the Veto on North Macedonia
- » Bulgarian President: Our Language will continue to Unite us as a Nation
- » Bulgarian PM with School Memories: It was very Difficult for me to Learn Russian
- » The Pope to Bulgaria’s PM: Corruption is a Disease and You Can Eradicate it
- » Bulgaria – North Macedonia: No Progress in the Work of the Joint Historical Commission
- » Speaker of Parliament: Right now, Bulgaria is Not Preparing to Lift the Veto over North Macedonia