Sofia Opens Catholic Cathedral
Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano consecrated the cathedral himself before over a thousand Catholics from all over Bulgaria and Macedonia.
EU Affairs Minister Meglena Kuneva, many other Catholics from Bulgaria, and foreign diplomats gathered at the new cathedral at Sofia's "Knyaz Boris I" Boulevard. Sofia Mayor Boyko Borisov, Culture Minister Stefan Danailov and Dimitris Kourkoulas, head of the EC Delegation for Bulgaria, also honoured the ceremony.
The cathedral's first stone was sanctified by Pope John Paul II, during his visit to Bulgaria in 2002. The new building rises where the old catholic cathedral in Sofia stood. It was destroyed during the bombing of Sofia in 1944, even before it was completed.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Greece and Turkey to Resolve Their Disputes in Istanbul
- » PM of India Narendra Modi Addresses the United Nations General Assembly
- » PM Borissov at UN summit: Bulgaria Is Ready To Do Its Part. It Is Time For Action
- » Morocco: Meeting Between EC Vice-President Borrell and the Minister of Foreign Affairs Bourita
- » Bulgaria's PM Borissov Will Participate in 75th Session of UN General Assembly
- » Emergency Situation in Bulgaria May Be Extended By Another Two Months