Guardian: EU Gives Green Light to Bulgaria
Their report came a day after EU Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn published his preliminary assessment of the progress Bulgaria and Romania have made.
Sofia and Bucharest may still enter as planned on January 1, 2007, but there is more work to be done and the decision is still to be taken, Rehn announced.
He criticized Bulgaria for lagging behind Romania in its fight against corruption.
The final decision about when Bulgaria and Romania will join has to be taken by the EU 25 and that will probably happen when EU leaders meet in June.
Bulgaria and Romania signed agreements in 2004 to join the EU but their entry into the bloc can be postponed if they are judged to be too far behind in making reforms.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria