EU "Freezes" Enlargement after 2008
The decision was reportedly made at the session of the Council of Foreign Ministers, held in the framework of the EU top-level meeting in Brussels.
Bulgaria is also represented at the forum with its Foreign Affairs Minister Ivaylo Kalfin.
Though the enlargement dossier was not officially on the agenda of EU foreign ministers meeting at dinner on Thursday, the invitation to EU Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn seemed to be quite conspicuous.
The ministers have agreed to freeze further expansion of EU until European Constitution or other document relating reforms of the existing structure of the Union is adopted.
"Absorption capacity" was also discussed by the foreign ministers, who determined the issue would be examined more thoroughly "in time."
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria