Crime Rate "Endangers" Romania's EU Bid
Calling it a way to save taxpayers' money, the Austrian government plans to build a prison in Romania and deport Romanian criminals immediately to their home country. Critics say the proposal has "a touch of xenophobia."
It is also considered as a way to deal with a 50 percent increase in the number of Romanian crime suspects in Austria last year. Ministers blame this on the abolishment of visa requirements for Romanians to enter the EU in 2002.
The Romanian government, which is also talking to Italy about setting up a similar agreement, has welcomed the idea. The social reintegration of criminals would be easier if they served their time close to relatives, Romanian Justice Minister Rodica Stanoiu said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
Politics » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » GERB Could Support Kiril Petkov
- » Asen Vassilev: The Expectations are that there will be a Government next week
- » New Speaker of Parliament: Our Goal is to make Politics in a New Way, in the Right Way
- » Anti-Vaxers Chased Kiril Petkov to his home in Sofia (Video)
- » Overview: The Inauguration of 47th National Assembly. New Chairman and Promises of Change
- » Council of Europe expects Urgent Reduction in the Influence of the Bulgarian Prosec. Gen. on the SJC