Floods in Brazil claim 21 lives
Torrential rain and gale-force winds caused by a cyclone have killed at least 21 people in southern Brazil, with more flooding expected, the BBC reported.
The governor of Rio Grande do Sul said it was the worst weather disaster in the state's history.
Thousands of people have been forced from their homes, officials said.
In Mukum, a town of 5,000 people, hundreds had to be rescued from the roofs of their houses after 85% of the town was flooded, local media reported.
President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said the federal government was ready to help.
#BREAKING: Roco Salles, a small town in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, has been completely underwater after the recent floods. Residents are scrambling to find food and shelter.#BrazilFloods #Marau #riograndedosul#Flooding #RocoSalles— JUST IN | World (@justinbroadcast) September 6, 2023
#Brazil #ClimateActionNow #ClimateCrisis pic.twitter.com/iFqtWItgvL
Write to us at email@example.com
Информирайте се на Български - Novinite.bg
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 647 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Israel-Hamas Conflict Threatens to Overshadow the War
- » Schengen Decision for Bulgaria: Awaited Call Delayed Again
- » After the 7-Day Ceasefire: Second Day of Fighting in Gaza
- » Bulgarian and Romanian MEPs Protest Against Schengen Veto in Vienna
- » Day 646 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zelensky Calls For Rapid Construction of Fortifications in Key Areas
- » Serbia Bolsters Border Security, Plans Increased Police Presence along Bulgaria Border