NATO: The Majority of Bulgarians support an Increase in Defense Spending
According to 83% of Bulgarian citizens, our country should spend more on defense, while only 8% disagree, and 9% cannot decide. This is indicated by data from a NATO study, included in the annual report on the Alliance's activities presented today, cited by BTA correspondent Nikolay Zhelyazkov.
According to the report, last year Bulgaria provided defense funds equal to 1.54% of GDP. The report states that so far only seven countries of the Alliance meet the goal of spending reaching two percent of GDP. Bulgaria fulfills the goal set by NATO for at least a 20% share of equipment costs from the total national defense budget.
Support for NATO among the citizens of the countries of the pact increased by 8% in the last year, according to the latest data in Bulgaria, 55% expressed support, and 31% said they were in favor of leaving the Alliance. More than half of the participants in the survey in our country (57 percent) are of the opinion that NATO membership makes a military attack against our country less likely, and this expectation is shared by more and more of the other citizens of the Alliance countries.
Follow Novinite.com on Twitter and Facebook
Write to us at email@example.com
Информирайте се на Български - Novinite.bg
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Defense Minister: There is No Request to Increase the Bulgarian Contingent in Kosovo
- » Bulgaria’s Defense Minister: The Defensive Shield-23 Exercise achieved its Goals of assembling a Multinational Battalion
- » The Minister of Defense: There are no Bulgarian soldiers in Ukraine
- » A Wagner mercenary with a Medal from Putin was Arrested in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Military Parade on the Day of the Bulgarian Army (PHOTOS and VIDEO)
- » Do not be Alarmed: Military Helicopters and Planes will fly low over Sofia today