The vice president of Argentina was sentenced to 6 years in Prison for Corruption
Argentina's Vice President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner has been sentenced to six years in prison and banned for life from public office after being found guilty of charges in a public procurement fraud scheme.
According to the indictment, during her tenure, $1 billion was embezzled through projects of a developer close to the Kirchner family, the Associated Press reported.
Her supporters blocked downtown Buenos Aires and surrounded the federal court.
This is the first case in which an Argentine statesman has been convicted while still in office.
Experts explain that the appeals process can take years.
Meanwhile, Kirchner will retain her immunity from arrest as long as she can continue to win elections.
In her speech after the sentencing, she described herself as a victim of a "judicial mafia".
Write to us at email@example.com
Информирайте се на Български - Novinite.bg
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Thousands of Dead after Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria (OVERVIEW)
- » European Commission: The Imposition of Additional Conditions for Schengen on Bulgaria is Unfair
- » New 7.5 Earthquake in Turkey
- » Russia Closed the only Road to Georgia
- » Day 348 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Putin Promised Former Israeli PM to Not Kill Zelensky
- » World Leaders expressed Sympathy and Willingness to Help after the Earthquake in Turkey