Biden Insists on a Ban on Offensive Weapons
President Joe Biden has said the United States must ban offensive weapons to tackle the "carnage" of gun violence.
In a White House speech to the nation, Biden said too many places in America have become killing fields.
He said that if Congress could not ban such weapons, it should try to raise the age of purchase from 18 to 21.
The US president's speech was preceded by a series of mass shootings in the country.
Speaking at the White House, he also called for expanding the scope of federal checks on the past and national Red Flag laws, which allow courts to order the seizure of weapons by individuals deemed to pose a threat to others or for themselves.
"It's not about confiscating anyone's weapons," said the Democratic president.
"It's not about taking away anyone's rights," he added. "It's about protecting our children," he said.
"Why on earth should an ordinary citizen buy an offensive weapon that contains 30 rounds of ammunition that allows mass murderers to fire hundreds of bullets in a matter of minutes?" Biden asked.
While he was preparing for his speech, several other people were shot dead in a raid on a cemetery in Racine, Wisconsin.
Follow Novinite.com on Twitter and Facebook
Write to us at email@example.com
Информирайте се на Български - Novinite.bg
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Austria urged North Macedonia to include Bulgarians in its Constitution
- » The EU has decided that from 2035 only New Cars with Zero Carbon Dioxide Emissions will be Sold
- » Day 399 of the Invasion of Ukraine: VSU hit Russian Occupied Melitopol multiple times
- » The Pentagon is preparing the US Space Force for a possible Conflict with Russia and China in Space
- » Biden urged Netanyahu to abandon the Judicial Reform
- » Another Night of Clashes in France - Over 740,000 Protested against the Pension Reform