Cherries from Greece and Turkey are expected to Flood the Market in Bulgaria
The year will be good for cherries, apricots and plums, but the challenge is that this is set to apply to other countries as well.
According to Miroslav Chernikov from Silistra, a member of the board of the Union of Danube Fruit Growers, cherries from Greece and Turkey are expected to flood the Bulgarian market and undercut the prices of domestic producers. Fears go even further - that they will be displaced from the market altogether.
Fruit growers want urgent market measures on the part of the state - a policy to ensure market access for Bulgarian goods abroad.
Miroslav Chernikov grows about 1,000 decares of cherries, apricots, plums and cherries from a total of nearly 50,000 decares of perennials in the Silistra region. There are about 500 fruit growers in the region. He is pleased that they have managed to save their fruit trees from the frosts, but the problems do not end there.
“Massive losses await fruit growers if they do not have a good purchase price that is higher than the cost. The state must intervene”, Miroslav Chernikov said.
Chernikov, like many of his colleagues, is constantly investing. They are opening workshops for sorting and cooling the fruits in order to improve the quality they offer on the market.
Over the years, Romanian resellers have saved Silistra farmers on perennials, but they cannot be relied on. They go where the price is lowest, and this year - is expected to have a vast choice.
Follow Novinite.com on Twitter and Facebook
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Информирайте се на Български - Novinite.bg
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Unfair Import of Millions of Eggs from Ukraine: Bulgarian Producers
- » Bulgaria will receive EUR 16 Million in Compensation due to large Imports of Grain from Ukraine
- » Despite the High Prices of Eggs in Bulgaria - They are Still the Cheapest in the EU
- » TME catalogue now includes Murata and Murata Power Solutions Products
- » Bulgarian Grain producers Sell below Cost: We are no longer talking about Profit, but about Smaller Losses
- » Business Adaptation - Casinos