Bulgarian Economist: The Contribution of Ukrainian Refugees to the Economy is Enormous
The contribution of Ukrainian refugees to the domestic economy is enormous. This is what the economist Iskren Penchev said on the air of Nova TV today.
"The 11 billion that the Bulgarian government has spent to help refugees has not just been returned by the EU, but many times more. Our country is a serious beneficiary of Ukrainian funds. Since the start of the war alone, more than 3 billion euros in cash have been exported from Ukraine. We do not know whether these funds will be spent in Bulgaria, but the effect on the economy is visible. At least this will give liquidity to Bulgarian banks.”
“In any case, the money spent by Ukrainian refugees in our country is much more than the official data show. We have no information about the cash that enters the country," he explained.
According to him, most of the refugees participate in the real estate market not only through rents but also through direct purchases.
"This increases the demand for real estate, especially on the Black Sea coast, but also raises the price of existing real estate. It's called the ‘Wealth Effect,’" he said.
Penchev pointed out that Ukrainian companies fleeing their homeland are also interested in Bulgaria.
"They are mainly in the business sphere. Wages there are higher and have high added value. Our country should welcome them with open arms," he added.
Many Ukrainian refugees arriving in Bulgaria still rely on their own funds. Alla is no exception, as she arrives from Chernomorsk. She has worked for a long time as a teacher in her homeland, but here she cannot find a job in her specialty.
"My child is studying online and I can't leave him alone. The language barrier is also a problem, I don't know Bulgarian," she said.
Write to us at email@example.com
Информирайте се на Български - Novinite.bg
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 279 of the Invasion of Ukraine: USA stated there is “No Need to declare Russia a Terrorist State”
- » Bulgarian SPG-9 Warriors mounted on Buggies chase Russian Tanks through the Mud in Ukraine
- » Russia not only Destroys but Depopulates Ukraine: A Quarter of its Population is already Abroad
- » Day 278 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Pentagon considers giving Ukraine Munitions with Range 'Deep into Russia's Rear'
- » Day 277 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Heavy Snowfall leaves Millions of Ukrainians without Electricity and Heating
- » Day 276 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Six Million Households remain without Electricity