Powerful Explosions in Ukrainian cities of Kyiv, Odessa, Mariupol and Kramatorsk
Powerful explosions were heard this morning in the Ukrainian capital Kyiv, the southern city of Odessa and the eastern cities of Mariupol and Kramatorsk after Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a military operation against the country, AFP reporters at the scene said.
At least two explosions were heard in the capital early this morning, followed by the sound of ambulance sirens.
In the port city of Mariupol, Ukraine's largest settlement on the front line, home to nearly half a million people, several people told AFP they heard artillery shelling coming from the eastern part of the city.
Closer to the front line, in Kramatorsk, the headquarters of the Ukrainian army, at least four powerful explosions were heard by AFP journalists.
Explosions also erupted in the Black Sea city of Odessa, 600km away.
Kharkiv was hit as well by multiple missiles.
In a surprise televised speech today, Putin announced the start of a military operation in Ukraine in defense of pro-Russian separatists from Donetsk and Luhansk at a time when tens of thousands of Russian troops have been stationed on Ukraine's borders for weeks.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 345 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Speculations about a Peace Plan and an End to the War
- » Day 344 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Von der Leyen visits Kyiv, Russian Officer witnessed Brutal Torture of Ukrainians (UPDATED)
- » Day 343 of the Invasion of Ukraine: US will provide Long-Awaited Longer-Range Weapons (UPDATED)
- » Day 342 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Biden is against sending Fighter Jets to Kyiv
- » Day 341 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Putin Threatened Boris Johnson with a Missile (UPDATED)
- » Day 340 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv is Negotiating the Supply of Long-Range Missiles