State of Emergency in Ottawa over the Freedom Convoy
Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson has declared a state of emergency due to an unprecedented 10-day blockade by protesting truck drivers that paralyzed the Canadian capital, Reuters reported.
“The measure is necessary because of the serious danger and threat to the safety and security of citizens who create ongoing demonstrations.”
This emphasizes the need for support from other institutions and branches of government, according to a statement from Watson, quoted by BTA. Earlier, he complained that the protesters outnumbered the police and controlled the situation, but did not provide details on what measures he could impose.
The protest, called the Freedom Convoy, began as a move against the Canadian authorities' requirement to vaccinate truck drivers crossing the border with the United States but has grown into a wider outcry against anti-epidemic health measures and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Analysis: Anti-Americanism and Russian Propaganda in Greece
- » Day 165 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Parts of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Plant were Damaged
- » Taiwan's President appeals for International Support to Halt Escalation of the Regional Situation
- » The Death Toll from Israeli Bombings in the Gaza Strip has risen to 32
- » Day 164 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv and Moscow Accuse Each Other of Shelling the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant
- » Hungary and Poland are Against the EU's Plan to Reduce Gas Consumption