WHO has called for the Canceling of Mass Holiday Events
The World Health Organization has called for the abolition of public holiday events amid the rapid spread of the new variant of the coronavirus Omicron.
There is evidence that Omicron is spreading faster than Delta and vaccinated and infected coronavirus can also become infected, warned the director general of the World Health Organization Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
He called on countries around the world to make the difficult decisions needed to end the 2022 pandemic.
"If we want to end the pandemic next year, we must end inequality and ensure that 70 percent of each country's population is vaccinated by mid-2022."
More than 3,300,000 people with Covid have died this year, more than last year's victims of malaria, HIV and tuberculosis, said Ghebreyesus.
In view of the approaching holidays at the end of the year, Ghebreyesus called for limiting the concentration of people, which would create a very suitable environment for the spread of Omicron.
Better to have some events cancelled or postponed than people dying, insisted Ghebreyesus
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Health Inspector: The Peak of the Flu Epidemic is expected at the end of January and the first week of February
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 153 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 221 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 163 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 288 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » The World Health Organization changes the name of Monkeypox