The United States has Confirmed that it will Launch a Diplomatic Boycott of the Beijing Olympics
The United States will launch a diplomatic boycott of the upcoming Winter Olympics in Beijing, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki was quoted as saying by DPA.
US athletes will compete in the Olympics, but President Joe Biden's government will not send diplomats or officials to China's Winter Olympics.
Biden said last month that he was considering a similar measure regarding the human rights situation in China. Beijing has been accused of repression in Hong Kong and against ethnic minorities, including the Uighurs in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region.
Asked why the United States is refraining from a complete boycott of the Beijing Olympics, Psaki said Washington did not want to punish athletes who have been preparing hard for the Olympics.
China has already promised a "decisive response" today if the United States decides to boycott the Games.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijiang warned at a briefing that such a boycott would not go unanswered by China.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » US Congresswoman does not rule out sanctions against Bulgaria over North Macedonia
- » Bulgarian PM on his future visit to North Macedonia: I come with readiness for a new beginning
- » 30 years ago Bulgaria was first in the world to recognize the independence of North Macedonia
- » American expert: It depends on Bulgaria whether it wants to return to Russian control
- » US Embassy in Sofia: We have Not Raised the Question of the "Macedonian Minority"
- » Bulgaria Reaffirms its United Position on North Macedonia