Powerful Earthquake Rocks Indonesia Maluku Islands, Tsunami Warning Issued
Indonesia's geophysics agency warned on Wednesday of possible aftershocks and tsunami potential after a 6.1 magnitude earthquake hit near the Moluccas islands, also known as the Maluku islands.
The quake struck at a depth of 10 km (6.21 miles).
"Please move away from beach and move to higher ground," BMKG said in a text message, noting that the warning applied especially to Seram Island.
A tsunami wave could potentially be triggered by underwater landslides, it added. It earlier said there was no tsunami potential.
A local disaster mitigation agency official said there were no report of injured people or casualties so far, but some buildings and public facilities sustained damage.
Unverified videos that circulated online showed some local residents moving to higher ground after the quake.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » A Car with Ukrainian Registration was Set on Fire in Varna
- » A Dead Newborn wrapped in a Plastic Bag was found in Sofia
- » A 38-year-old Man from Burgas was Detained for Hammering Pickaxes into Ukrainian Cars
- » A Bus with Ukrainian Citizens caught Fire in Bulgaria
- » 4 People Died in a Fire at a Nursing Home in Varna
- » Cuba: At least 22 Casualties in a Hotel Explosion in Havana