Russian Orthodox Church Pleas Reduction of Abortions to Fight Demographic Crisis
The Orthodox Church in Russia has urged women to refrain from abortions and instead give their children to church institutions.
"Give birth to the child and hand it over to us, the Church, and we will do everything we can to raise it and get it on its feet," the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, said Patriarch Kirill, said in a video address.
With this proposal, the Russian Church also wants to help alleviate the demographic problem of the world's largest country.
"We are a big country and we need to become more populated," said the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia. One way to do this, he said, is to have fewer abortions.
Last year, Russia's population shrank by half a million to 146.2 million, partly because of the many deaths during the coronavirus pandemic.
The numbers have been falling for years because of the difficult economic situation of many families.
Parallel to this, the number of registered abortions also declined. Whereas after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1992 about 3.5 million abortions were performed, the number dropped to about half a million in 2020. This development is not least related to better access to contraceptives.
Only recently, Russian President Vladimir Putin called for more help for families. He sees low incomes as an obstacle to more children being born.
Patriarch Kirill assured women who decide against abortion: "We accept everyone, regardless of religion and citizenship."
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Lavrov: Moldova could be the next Ukraine
- » The Number of Russian Soldiers Killed and Wounded is approaching 180,000, according to a Norwegian General
- » Russia on Petkov: The Emphasis is Not on the Weapons, but on the Fact that He initiated the Exclusion from SWIFT
- » Medvedev: If a Nuclear Power Loses a War, it can Trigger a Nuclear Conflict
- » Russian Politician demanded the Assassination of the German Foreign Minister
- » The Kremlin declared Victory in Soledar