Today May 9 Europe Celebrate Europa Day
Europe Day held on 9 May every year celebrates peace and unity in Europe. The date marks the anniversary of the historic 'Schuman declaration'. At a speech in Paris in 1950, Robert Schuman, the then French foreign minister, set out his idea for a new form of political cooperation in Europe, which would make war between Europe's nations unthinkable.
His vision was to create a European institution that would pool and manage coal and steel production. A treaty creating such a body was signed just under a year later. Schuman's proposal is considered to be the beginning of what is now the European Union.
To celebrate Europe Day, the EU institutions traditionally open their doors to the public today May 9th. Local EU offices in Europe and all over the world organised a variety of activities and events for all ages.
Each year thousands of people take part in visits, debates, concerts and other activities to mark the day and raise awareness about the EU.
Since the start of the COVID-19 crisis, the EU is inviting citizens from across Europe and the world to discover it in a safe and mostly virtual way, with physical or hybrid events and visits taking place where sanitary conditions allow it.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Germany and France to Propose EU-wide Quarantine Rules for British Arrivals
- » Hungary’s LGBTQ Law Slammed by EC Boss Von Der Leyen, ahead of EU Summit
- » Health Minister: Italy to Become White Zone thanks to Vaccines
- » Slovenian FM Sides with Skopje against Bulgaria, Requesting EU "action" for Western Balkans Enlargement
- » EU Council of Foreign Ministers Agrees New Sanctions on Lukashenko
- » European Parliament Proposed New Sanctions against Lukashenko’s Regime